Report from C12 Commission
1. Current C12 Members
NAGAMIYA, S. (Chair, Japan), HENNING W. F. (Vice Chair, Germany),
Van OERS, W.T.H. (Secretary, Canada, FIORINI, E. (Italy, FREEDMAN, S.J. (USA),
GUERREAU, D. (France), HWANG, W.Y.P. (Taiwan), KUTSCHERA, W. (Austria), MIN,
D-P. (Korea), OGLOBLIN, A. (Russia, PETITJEAN, C. (Switzerland), RISKA, D-O.
W. (Finland), SHEN, W-Q. (China), ZELLER, M. E. (USA, from C11), MCDONALD,
A. B. (Canada, from C19), HAXTON, W. (USA, from PaNAGIC, THOMAS, A. W. (USA,
Ad Hoc Comm. Chair)
2. C12 Commission Meeting in June, 2004, at Goeteborg,
- Recommendation of the sponsorship for international conferences
- Discussion on Ad hoc Committee on “International Cooperation in
- Reports from other related commissions
2.2. Conference Sponsorship
- PANIC05 (Santa Fe, NM, October 24-28, 2005) Type A
- C12 decided to support this conference for 2005.
- Concerns were expressed about US Visa issues.
- INPC2007 (International Nuclear Physics Conference 2007) Type A
- C12 decided the location of INPC2007 to Japan (most likely Tokyo).
- INPC is the unique conference for which the location is decided by C12.
- NN2006 + FB2006 both in Brazil
- Wisdom of how these two should be organized was discussed.
3. Ad Hoc Committee on International Cooperation in Nuclear Physics
- One Full Day Meeting in Goeteborg (June
24, 2004) before the INPC2004.
Anthony W. Thomas - JLab (Chair)
Richard F. Casten - Yale (Chair, NSAC)
Sam H. Aronson - BNL
Alan Shotter (for Jean-Michel Poutissou) - TRIUMF
Muhsin N. Harakeh - KVI (Chair, NuPECC)
Daniel Guerreau - IN2P3
Shoji Nagamiya - J-PARC (Chair, C12)
Wenlong Zhan - Landzhou
Walter F. Henning – GSI (Vice-Chair. C12)
Alexey A. Ogloblin - Kurchatov
Hideyuki Sakai - Tokyo (Chair, Japanese Experimental Nuclear
Toru Motobayashi - RIKEN
Willem T.H. van Oers - Manitoba (Secretary)
Wen-qing Shen - Shanghai
Arthur B. Mcdonald - SNO
Anthony W. Thomas: History and the Task of this Committee
Shoji Nagamiya: Mission of this Committee
Hideyuki Sakai : Status in Japan
Richard F. Casten: Status in the USA
Muhsin N. Harakeh: Status in Europe
Alan Shotter: Status in Canada
Wenlong Zhan: Status in China
- General Discussions
- First Task of the Committee is to create a document that describes the
- Categories of Available Facilities in the World
a) First category: Radioactive Ion Beam Facilities
Feature: Many facilities in the world.
Regional usage rather than world-wide usage.
a) Second category: 1) Relativistic Heavy Ion Beam Facilities
2) Electron Beam Facilities
3) Kaon Factories
4) Underground Laboratories
Feature: A few facilities in the world.
- C12 Commission decided to support the continuation of activities of this
Ad Hoc Committee.
4. Other Issues
4.1. Future C12 Commission and Its Related Meetings
- For a while (at least in 2005), no meetings will be held in the USA due
to the US Visa problem.
4.2. Recent Highlights in Nuclear Physics
4.3. Next C12 Commission Meeting
- The first candidate: Hungary in association with Quark Matter 05 (August,
- The second candidate: Thailand in association with Asia Pacific Conference
in Few Body Physics Problems (July, 2005).