Report of Commission 15: Atomic Molecular and Optical
- 2003 Report
- Recent Advances in AMO Physics
- Links to IUPAP home and other physics societies
- ICAP 2004: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- excellent organization by V. Bagnato and stimulating science
- 500 attendees from 37 countries including 160 from Brazil and several dozen
from rest of Latin America
- meeting featured on National Brazilian TV
- several satellite meetings including Hydrogen III (Type C IUPAP)
- IUPAP support divided among 45 attendees primarily from Latin American,
Eastern Europe & Russia.
- Security at Conference is a Concern: No evening session
- ICPEAC 2005: Argentina
- ICAP 2006: Innsbruck, Austria
Conference Recommendations: Unanimous support for ICPEAC
$20,000 and Banff Cold Atom Symposium $3,000 requests.
- considerable concern regarding difficulties encountered by bona fide scientists
seeking to enter U.S.
- Y. K. Ho commented it was particularly degrading for foreign scientists to
- At ICAP, Harvard Full Professor M. Lukin could not give invited talk reportedly
because he could encounter difficulty reentering the U.S. as he is not an American
- Commission members feel strongly that letters from each national Committee
to the U.S. State Department would be more effective than a boycott of meetings
in the U.S. at the present time. The latter could invite retaliation and jeopardize
support. For example, NIST donated $15,000 to support 16 ICAP attendees.